Links & Resources
"a perpetual work in progress"
- The Essentials of Appreciative Inquiry: a roadmap for creating positive futures. Article by Bernard Mohr and Magruder Watkins
- Five Strategies of Appreciative Leadership.
Change: Approaches, Models & Processes
- The Change Leader's Roadmap. Linda Ackerman and Dean Anderson. This site offer a wealth of supporting articles.
- John Kotter's Organizational Transformation Model.
- Beckhard-Harris Change Model (DVF>R)
- Accelerating Strategic Change: application of the whole-scale approach to leading and managing change. Dannemiller Tyson Associates.
- Action Research: From Wikipedia. Very good citations.
- Prosci's Change Management Methodology.
- Positive Deviance. From Wikipedia. Positive Deviance is an approach to behavioral and social change based on the observation that in any community, there are people whose uncommon but successful behaviors or strategies enable them to find better solutions to a problem than their peers, despite facing similar challenges and having no extra resources or knowledge than their peers. These individuals are referred to as positive deviants.
- Future Search - Marvin Weisbord, Sandra Janoff.
- Peter Senge and the Learning Organization.
- Addressing the Blind Spot of Our Time. Executive summary of Theory U: Leading from the Future as it Emerges by Otto Sharmer.
- What is Transformational Change?
- Use of Self: Curran, Seashore & Welp (1995)
- Self as an Instrument: Mee-Yan Cheung-Judge, OD Practitioner (2001)
Communities: Renewal, Revitalization and Development
- 12 Principles for Supporting Healthy Communities. Margaret Wheatley, one my favourite authors and thinkers, is the strongest advocate I know for viewing and working with communities (and organizations) as living systems.
- The Main Street Program: Past and Present. Main Street was one of the Heritage Canada Foundation’s pioneering national programs to help citizens take responsibility for the future of their communities and their heritage.
- Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food & Rural Affairs funding programs for community revitalization.
- Collective Action Toolkit (CAT). CAT is a package of resources and activities that enable groups of people anywhere to organize, build trust, and collaboratively create solutions for problems impacting their community.
- A Guide to Community Revitalization. Produced by the BC Ministry of Community, Aboriginal and Womens' Services.
- The Community Revitalization Guide. Produced by the Pennsylvania Department of Community & Economic Development.
- Participatory Action Research (PAR) Toolkit. PAR is an approach to community-based change that emphasizes (as the name implies) broad-based participation by community members concerning issues they care about.
- Appreciative Inquiry and Community Development: from problems to strengths.
- Community Readiness for Economic Development. Produced by the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs.
Generations in the Workplace
- Mixing and Matching Four Generations in the Workplace.
- Four Generations in the Workplace.
- Motivating The Millennials: Tapping Into The Potential Of The Youngest Generation
- Generations in the Workplace in the United States and Canada.
- Another Greatest Generation is on the Way.
- Generations at Work. Research by Herman Miller
Leading Change & Transition
- 10 Ways to Get People to Change. Harvard Business Review Blog
- Changing Leadership to Lead Change. Hitachi Consulting Corporation.
- Managing Successful Organizational Change in the Public Sector.
- The Dance of Change. Executive summary of excellent book by Peter Senge and colleagues.
- The Dance of Change. An even more expansive summary of the book.
- Leadership Strategies for Making Change Stick. Ken Blanchard website (free sign-up required.)
- Leading with Authenticity in Times of Transition. Center for Creative Leadership
- Leading Transition: a new model for change. William Bridges
- Leading Change Handbook
- Seven Lessons for Leaders in Systems Change.
Leader Behaviour, Skills & Development
- Future Trends in Leadership Development. Published by the Center for Creative Leadership (requires login -- free to join.)
- Brave Hearts ~ Courage and Integrity.
- Developing Leadership Character. Ivey Business School Article
- Leadership is Character.
- Challenging Conversations -- Strategies for Turning Conflict into Creativity. Ken Blanchard website (free sign-up required)
- A Leadership Development Architecture. R.Brazier, Learningful
- Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership. Kouzes & Posner Leadership Model.
- How to Ask -- and Listen -- Like You Mean It. Fast Company article by Kevin Cashman
- Conversational Leadership. Article on the approach to leadership underpinning the World Café facilitation process.
- Leadership Resources Online Leadership Library
- Ten Leadership Skills You Need in the Next Decade. From the Leadership Now Communique.
- Top Leadership Qualities Every Manager Can't Live Without
- How the Best Leaders Build Trust. Stephen Covey.
- Becoming a Servant Leader: Do You Have What it Takes?
- 7 Unusual Things Great Bosses Do.
- The Art and Science of Leadership
Facilitator Resources for Leadership, Learning & Change
- Business Balls. Free resources on a wide range of topics.
- Fast Company. Resources concerning trends in business and society.
- Facilitator Toolkit. A Guide for Helping Groups Get Results. University of Wisconsin.
- World Café Toolkit.
- Open Space.
Systems Thinking and Acting
- An Introduction to Systems Thinking. Pegasus Communications.
- Habits of a Systems Thinker.
- Review and excerpts from Presence, by Peter Senge, C. Otto Scharmer, Joseph Jaworski, Betty Sue Flowers. “Presence” is an idea borrowed from the natural world, in which the whole is entirely present in any of its parts, and the parts exist as embodiments of the whole.
- Seeing Systems Blog: Blog posts from Barry Oshry (Power & Systems)